Videos

Keepin It 100 – The Live Fan Mock Draft!Nick Bon April 22, 2021 at 7:19 pm

Listen this week as Keepin’ It 100 fans from around the world take control of all 32 NFL teams to make the ultimate fan mock draft!

Expect lots of laughs, rules, and surprises as it’s anyone’s guess how insane the night will get as the fans take control!

The post Keepin It 100 – The Live Fan Mock Draft! first appeared on CHI CITY SPORTS l Chicago Sports Blog – News – Forum – Fans – Rumors.Read More

Keepin It 100 – The Live Fan Mock Draft!Nick Bon April 22, 2021 at 7:19 pm Read More »

Man charged in road-rage shooting of toddler on Lake Shore Driveon April 22, 2021 at 7:38 pm

A Morgan Park man has been charged with the brazen, midday road-rage shooting on Lake Shore Drive that critically wounded a toddler in early April.

Deandre Binion, 25, faces three counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of aggravated battery with a firearm, Chicago police said.

Investigators determined he fired shots on April 6, striking 22-month-old Kayden Swann in the temple, police said.

Prosecutors have already charged Jushawn Brown with unlawful possession of a weapon in connection with the shooting. In his initial court hearing, prosecutors said Brown was driving his car on Lake Shore Drive, with Kayden in the rear seat, when an SUV that attempted to merge onto the highway nearly struck his car near Soldier Field.

Chicago police investigate in the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive at East Monroe Street, where a 2-year-old boy was shot in the head while he was traveling inside a car near Grant Park, Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
Chicago police investigate in the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive at East Monroe Street, where a 2-year-old boy was shot in the head while he was traveling inside a car near Grant Park, Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
Ashlee Rezin Garcia/Sun-Times

Brown pulled over and yelled at the driver of the SUV, and the two exchanged words until the driver of the SUV pulled out a gun and showed it to Brown while asking him, “What did he want to do about it,” prosecutors said.

Brown took out his own gun and placed it on his lap before trying to drive away from the SUV, which followed him.

The driver of the SUV fired several shots at Brown’s car near the Shedd Aquarium, striking it several times. One of the bullets smashed through the rear passenger window and hit the boy in the head.

Brown continued to drive north until he lost control and crashed.

A good Samaritan picked up Brown, Brown’s girlfriend and the child and drove them to Northwestern Hospital. The boy was transferred to Lurie Children’s Hospital.

Kayden suffered a severe brain injury and was put in a medically-induced coma and on a ventilator, doctors said. Earlier this week, doctors said the child was out of intensive care and showing “remarkable progress.”

Binion was expected to appear in court on Friday, police said.

Read More

Man charged in road-rage shooting of toddler on Lake Shore Driveon April 22, 2021 at 7:38 pm Read More »

World leaders pledge climate cooperation despite other riftson April 22, 2021 at 7:38 pm

WASHINGTON — The leaders of Russia and China put aside their raw-worded disputes with U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday long enough to pledge international cooperation on cutting climate-wrecking coal and petroleum emissions in a livestreamed summit showcasing America’s return to the fight against global warming.

Neither Vladimir Putin nor Xi Jinping immediately followed the United States and some of its developed allies in making specific new pledges to reduce damaging fossil fuel pollution during the first day of the two-day U.S.-hosted summit. But climate advocates hoped the high-profile — if glitch-ridden — virtual gathering would kickstart new action by major polluters, paving the way for a November U.N. meeting in Glasgow critical to drastically slowing climate change over the coming decade.

The entire world faces “a moment of peril” but also “a moment of opportunity,” Biden declared, speaking from a TV-style chrome-blue set for the virtual summit of 40 world leaders. Participants appeared one after the other onscreen for what appeared to be a mix of live and recorded addresses.

“The signs are unmistakable,” Biden said. “The science is undeniable. The cost of inaction keeps mounting.”

Biden’s new U.S. commitment, timed to the summit, would cut America’s fossil fuel emissions as much as 52% by 2030. It comes after four years of international withdrawal from the issue under President Donald Trump, who mocked the science of climate change and pulled the U.S. out of the landmark 2015 Paris climate accord.

Biden’s administration this week is sketching out a vision of a prosperous, clean-energy United States where factories churn out cutting-edge batteries and electric cars for export, line workers re-lay an efficient national electrical grid and crews cap abandoned oil and gas rigs and coal mines.

But Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell dismissed the administration’s plans as costly and ineffective.

“This is quite the one-two punch,” McConnell said in a Senate speech Thursday. “Toothless requests of our foreign adversaries … and maximum pain for American citizens.”

At the summit, Japan announced its own new 46% emissions reduction target and South Korea said it would stop public financing of new coal-fired power plants, potentially an important step toward persuading China and other coal-reliant nations to curb building and funding of new ones as well.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, one of the leaders shown watching summit proceedings in the coronavirus pandemic’s familiar Brady Bunch-style multibox conference screen, said his nation would up its fossil fuel pollution cuts from 30% to at least 40%.

Travel precautions under the pandemic compelled the summit to play out on livestream, limiting opportunities for spontaneous interaction and negotiation. Its opening hours were sometimes marked by electronic echoes, random beeps and off-screen voices.

But the summit also marshaled an impressive display of the world’s most powerful leaders speaking on the single cause of climate change.

China’s Xi, whose country is the world’s biggest emissions culprit, followed by the United States, spoke first among the other global figures. He made no reference to disputes over territorial claims, trade and other matters that had made it uncertain until Wednesday that he would even take part in the U.S. summit. And he said China would work with America in cutting emissions.

“To protect the environment is to protect productivity, and to boost the environment is to boost productivity. It’s as simple as that,” Xi said.

Putin and his government have been irate over Biden’s characterization of him as a “killer” for Russia’s aggressive moves against its opponents, and he is under pressure this week over the declining health of jailed opposition figure Alexei Navalny. But he made no mention of those disputes in his own climate remarks.

“Russia is genuinely interested in galvanizing international cooperation so as to look further for effective solutions to climate change as well as to all other vital challenges,” Putin said. Russia by some measures is the world’s fourth-biggest emitter of climate-damaging fossil fuel fumes.

Climate efforts in recent years have proved a forum where even rival world leaders want to be seen as putting aside disputes to serve as international statesmen and women, even though the cumulative output of fossil fuel emissions is still hurtling the Earth toward disastrous temperature rises.

The pandemic made gathering world leaders for the climate summit too risky. So Biden’s staff built a small set in the East Room that looked like it was taken from a daytime talk show.

Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris joined Secretary of State Antony Blinken and White House climate envoy John Kerry at a horseshoe-shaped table set up around a giant potted plant to watch fellow leaders’ speeches.

The format meant a cavalcade of short speeches by world leaders, some scripted, some not. “This is not bunny-hugging,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said of the climate efforts. “This is about growth and jobs.”

The Biden administration’s pledge would require by far the most ambitious U.S. climate effort ever, nearly doubling the reductions that the Obama administration had committed to in the Paris climate accord.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel was one of many allies welcoming the U.S. return after Trump..

“I’m delighted to see that the United States is back, is back to work together with us in climate politics,” Merkel declared in her virtual appearance. “Because there can be no doubt about the world needing your contribution if we really want to fulfill our ambitious goals.”

Pope Francis contributed a video from the Vatican, saying, “I wish you success in this beautiful decision to meet, walk together going forward and I am with you all the way.”

The new urgency comes as scientists say that climate change caused by coal plants, car engines and other fossil fuel use is worsening droughts, floods, hurricanes, wildfires and other disasters and that humans are running out of time to stave off catastrophic extremes of global warming.

Leaders of smaller states and island nations buffeted by rising seas and worsening hurricanes appealed for aid and fast emissions cuts from world powers.

“We are the least contributors to greenhouse gas emissions, but the most affected by climate change,” said Gaston Alfonso Browne, prime minister of Antigua and Barbuda. He called for debt relief and more international assistance to recover from storms and the pandemic to prevent a flow of climate refugees. His people he said, are “teetering on the edge of despair.”

Longtime climate policy experts, no strangers to climate summits with solemn pledges, watched some speeches with skepticism. After Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro promised an end to clearcutting in the Amazon, Dan Wilkinson of Human Rights Watch’s environmental programs noted, “It is going to be hard for anyone to take it seriously until they actually start taking steps.”

___

Knickmeyer reported from Oklahoma City. Associated Press writers Ashok Sharma in New Delhi, Joe McDonald in Beijing, Vladimir Isachenkov in Moscow, David Biller in Rio de Janeiro, Nicole Winfield in Vatican City, Mari Yamaguchi in Tokyo and Aamer Madhani, Seth Borenstein, Lisa Mascaro and Alexandra Jaffe in Washington contributed to this report.

Read More

World leaders pledge climate cooperation despite other riftson April 22, 2021 at 7:38 pm Read More »

Immigration advocates say end of ‘no-match letters’ a victory for workerson April 22, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Activists in Chicago are calling the decision by the federal government to end “no-match letters” a win for immigrant workers.

The Social Security Administration announced this month it was ending the practice of mailing “Employer Correction Request Notices” to employers. The notices, better known as “no-match letters,” were sent to workplaces when an employee’s name or Social Security number on W-2 forms did not match the agency’s records. The errors could create issues for a worker who later seeks Social Security benefits, according to the agency.

The federal agency said it will instead focus on “efforts on making it a better, easier, and more convenient experience for employers to report and correct wages electronically.”

Immigration advocates said the notices were used to target immigrant workers. The letters caused some people to lose their jobs or were used as a form of retaliation against immigrant workers who were organizing to address workplace conditions, said Jessie Hahn, an attorney with the National Immigration Law Center, during a virtual news conference.

Jorge Mujica, of Arise Chicago, the Chicago-based organization that advocates for workers.
Jorge Mujica, of Arise Chicago, said the Chicago-based organization received calls from workers during the past two years about the notices. Immigration advocates on Thursday called the the decision to stop using the so-called no-match letters a victory for workers.
Screenshot

Jorge Mujica of Arise Chicago said immigrant workers had reached out to the Chicago-based organization, which advocates for workers, during the past two years.

“Many thousands of essential workers who had been producing and packing and transporting and many times delivering food to the door of those working remotely were hit with no-match letters again,” Mujica said. “Essential workers started losing their jobs because of the mistakes of the Social Security Administration database.”

In March, a dozen members of Congress, including some from Illinois, wrote a letter to the federal agency asking it to suspend the use of no-match letters. U.S. Rep. Jesus “Chuy” Garcia, D-Chicago, in a video message played during the virtual conference said he was among those who sent the letter, describing the no-match letters as costly and putting workers in a vulnerable position.

Alfredo Sanchez, a board member of Arise Chicago, said he was abruptly fired from a job at a Loop restaurant years ago after his employer received a letter.

“That was before I knew Arise Chicago,” Sanchez said. “Arise Chicago showed me my rights and I learned my rights. I learned that these letters are just for errors to be fixed not for firing.”

Elvia Malagon’s reporting on social justice and income inequality is made possible by a grant from The Chicago Community Trust.

Read More

Immigration advocates say end of ‘no-match letters’ a victory for workerson April 22, 2021 at 7:51 pm Read More »

7 Comedy Clubs in Chicago to Visit for a Weekend Dateon April 22, 2021 at 7:51 pm

It’s 2021: you haven’t been on a date in over a year, but you think you’re ready to brave the apps (and test your newly-vaccinated immune system). What better way to keep things light-hearted and low-pressure than going to a comedy show? Live, in-person entertainment is becoming more widely available again, and these great comedy clubs in the Chicago area have the laughs you’re looking for.

With a combination of livestreamed and in-person events, Las Locas Comedy “highlights Latina/Latinx comedic talent and honorary ‘locas’ per show.” The showcase was recommended early on by Red Eye and the Chicago Reader.

162 E Superior St, Chicago IL 60611

Located downtown, The Comedy Bar opened about 10 years ago, and “aims to be the safest place for comedy.” With a main stage and a rooftop patio, there’s ample opportunity and room for laughter here.

Advertisement

1616 N Wells St, Chicago IL 60614

Advertisement

The legendary theater and training center reopens for in-person shows in early May! Get your tickets now— it’s been a long year-plus without live entertainment, and these shows won’t take long to sell out.

601 N Martingale Rd, Streets of Woodfield, Schaumburg IL 60173

The Chicago location of Laugh Out Loud is still closed, but you can take a drive out to Schaumburg to catch a show and have some laughs. Remember what it’s like to literally laugh out loud in a room of other (socially-distanced) people? This place should refresh your memory.

1548 N Wells St, Chicago IL 60610

5437 Park Pl, Rosemont IL 60018

Another giant of the Chicago comedy scene, Zanies is doing its part to keep things fun and safe. With locations in the city and Rosemont, you have options when seeking out top-notch comedy talent in the area.

2040 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL 60647

Home of “the nation’s longest-running independent comedy showcase,” The Lincoln Lodge has plenty of shows on its calendar right now. Come out to see sets based on news headlines, unbelievable stories with music accompaniment, and more.

3175 N Broadway, Chicago IL 60657

From straight-ahead stand-up to competitive comedy, the talent coming through Laugh Factory is cranking out high-quality jokes faster than you can say “social distancing.”

Comedy Clubs Chicago Featured Image Credit: Pixabay

Read More

7 Comedy Clubs in Chicago to Visit for a Weekend Dateon April 22, 2021 at 7:51 pm Read More »