Week 6 wasn’t as tumultuous as the rest of the season. But both Mount Carmel and Loyola received real tests, which was interesting.
The Caravan and Ramblers won, but the close games were good signs for Brother Rice and Marist.
Three teams join the rankings this week. St. Charles North and Lake Zurich have been knocking on the door for a long time and could have entered any of the past few weeks.
The North Stars have won five consecutive games, with quality wins against Lake Zurich, Wheaton North and Geneva. Every game they’ve played this season has been against a difficult opponent.
Lake Zurich isn’t quite as battle-tested as St. Charles North but has likely deserved a spot since beating Warren in Week 5.
Plainfield North is the third newcomer. The Tigers sneak in at No. 25. The Southwest Prairie doesn’t appear to be particularly strong this season, but the win against Naperville Central in Week 2 looks quite a bit better after the Redhawks knocked off Naperville North on Friday.
Notre Dame, Glenbrook South and Naperville North all drop out this week after picking up losses. It wouldn’t be surprising to see any of the three back at some point later this season.
Geneva, Reed-Custer and South Elgin are the teams that just missed the cut today.
Week 7’s Super 25With record and last week’s ranking
1. Mount Carmel (6-0) 1Friday at St. Laurence
2. Loyola (6-0) 2Friday at Providence
3. Lincoln-Way East (6-0) 3Friday at No. 20 Homewood-Flossmoor
4. York (6-0) 6Friday at Hinsdale Central
5. Simeon (6-0) 5Saturday vs. Kenwood at Lane
6. Glenbard West (5-1) 4Saturday vs. Downers Grove North
7. Hersey (6-0) 7Friday at Wheeling
8. Lemont (6-0) 8Friday vs. Richards
9. Prospect (5-1) 9Friday vs. Buffalo Grove
10. Bolingbrook (4-2) 10Friday at Lockport
11. Marist (3-3) 11Friday at Montini
12. St. Rita (4-2) 12Friday vs. Marian Central
13. Warren (5-1) 10Friday vs. Waukegan
14. Maine South (4-2) 14Friday vs. Niles West
15. Crete-Monee (4-2) 15Friday at Rich
16. Joliet Catholic (5-1) 16Friday vs. Brother Rice
17. Neuqua Valley (5-1) 17Friday vs. Waubonsie Valley
18. Prairie Ridge (5-1) 19Friday vs. Dundee-Crown
19. St. Charles North (5-1) NRFriday vs. St. Charles East
20. Homewood-Flossmoor (4-2) 20Friday vs. No. 3 Lincoln-Way East
21. Wheaton North (5-1) 22Friday vs. Wheaton-Warrenville South
22. Batavia (4-2) 23Friday vs. Geneva
23. Kankakee (5-1) 24Saturday at Bloom
24. Lake Zurich (5-1) NRFriday at Lake Zurich
25. Plainfield North (6-0) NRFriday at Minooka