Occasionally the Super 25 surprises me. This was one of those Sundays. There were major upsets all over the area this week and it appeared that making sense of all of it was going to be a herculean task.
That wasn’t the case. Everything fell into place fairly easily. This was a good week to take a loss. With so many teams dropping games everything sort of evened out.
Simeon is back at No. 1. That was an easy decision. The Wolverines have an excellent resume and have beaten Benet.
Kenwood only dropped a couple of spots despite losing three games. All three were to ranked teams, so there is no shame in that. And the Broncos have wins against Young, Joliet West, Proviso East, Bloom, Simeon and Curie. That’s a stronger resume than Benet. Wins matter more than losses in the Super 25.
Hillcrest jumped to No. 6 and almost went a bit higher. The Hawks’ only losses this season are to East St. Louis and Belleville East. Hillcrest hasn’t had a single let down loss and has knocked off Curie (when they were full strength), Oswego East, Marian Catholic and Bloom.
Libertyville falls out after losing to Warren. Downers Grove North, which has been in and out of the Super 25 this season, is back after beating Bolingbrook.
Loyola, which joined the rankings last week, lost to Taft on Saturday but holds on because it also beat Brother Rice.
Super 25 for Jan. 22, 2023With record and last week’s ranking
1. Simeon (19-1) 2Robert Smith is one win away from 500
2. Benet (22-1) 4Handled Kenwood
3. Kenwood (16-5) 1Three consecutive defeats
4. Joliet West (17-5) 3Justus McNair is back
5. Young (17-5) 3Lost to Joliet West
6. Hillcrest (21-2) 8Unbeaten in the area
7. Brother Rice (20-3) 7Ahmad Henderson tough to beat
8. Rolling Meadows (20-3) 6Lost to Brother Rice
9. Hyde Park (18-4) 23Beat Kenwood
10. Mount Carmel (19-2) 10Hosts St. Rita Tuesday
11. Bolingbrook (16-6) 11Up and down week
12. Hinsdale Central (19-3) 19Faces Lincoln-Way East Saturday
13. Oswego East (18-5) 15Playing very well
14. Proviso East (16-4) 12Hosts Proviso West Saturday
15. Curie (13-9) 5Forfeits and suspensions
16. Lyons (18-3) 16Lost to Hinsdale Central
17. St. Rita (13-8) 18Big test vs. Mount Carmel
18. Glenbrook South (18-4) 20Handled Fremd
19. Lincoln-Way East (18-2) 13Lost to Bolingbrook
20. Bloom (14-6) 14Lost to H-F
21. Glenbrook North (20-2) 22Knocked of New Trier
22. New Trier (18-4) 17Hosts Glenbrook South Friday
23. Downers Grove North (18-3) NRCan play with anyone
24. Marist (18-5) 24Fell short vs. Brother Rice
25. Loyola (18-6) 25Beat Brother Rice, lost to Taft