Daily Cubs Minors Recap: Brennen Davis announces his return with a three-run homer and three walks; Swarmer tosses five no-hit innings
today at 9:20 am
Alec Mills (lower back) got rocked in his first rehab outing (1.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R, BB, K) with Iowa. The bullpen kept Iowa in it, and thanks to two-run homers by Jose Lobaton and Jacob Olson the I-Cubs managed to make a game of it, but they ultimately fell short in their comeback efforts.
- Jose Lobaton: 1-4, HR (2), R, 2 RBI (.208)
- Jacob Olson: 1-1, HR (1), R, 2 RBI (1.000)
- Sergio Alcantara: 2-3, R, BB (.333)
- Taylor Gushue: 2-4, 2B, R (.333)
- Rafael Ortega: 2-4 (.250)
- Trayce Thompson: 1-4, 2B, R, RBI (.237)
- Michael Rucker: 2.1 IP, 2 H, R, BB, 3 K (4.00)
- Jake Jewell: 1.2 IP, H, 0 R, BB, K (0.96)
- Kyle Ryan: 2.1 IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K (0.00)
Injuries, Updates, and Trends
I forgot to mention it the other day, but it should be noted that reliever Jason Adam had to go through extensive surgery to repair a dislocated ankle. Adam is on the 40-man roster, and likely will head to the 60-day IL eventually, but the Cubs will wait until they need that spot as Adam will need to be called up before he can go on the MLB IL. That will mean he will begin drawing MLB rather than MiLB salary.
Matt Swarmer (who really, really should be in Iowa) held Biloxi hitless for five innings (2 BB, 9 K), passing off a 1-0 lead to the bullpen. Fresh off the IL, Ryan Lawlor kept the no-hitter going through the 6th, but the normally reliable Wyatt Short got hammered in the 7th. He didn’t have his control at all, and gave up five runs on two walks, a hit batter, and two home runs, while recording just one out. Christopher Morel homered in the bottom of the frame to draw the Smokies back within striking distance, but Biloxi plated two more insurance runs off Bryan Hudson in the 8th.
Under-the-radar reliever prospect Ben Leeper pitched a scoreless 9th. Undrafted (in the abbreviated 5 round 2020 draft), Leeper signed with the Cubs and immediately jumped to AA this season, where he’s allowed just one run over nine innings. He’s got a pretty good fastball, and his slider is legit. Definitely keep an eye on him.
- Matt Swarmer: 5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K (2.65)
- Ben Leeper: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, BB, K (1.00)
- Christopher Morel: 1-4, HR (3), R, 2 RBI (.188)
- Darius Hill: 2-4, RBI (.318)
With a three-run homer and three walks in four plate appearances (plus a stolen base), Brennen Davis announced that his delayed start to the 2021 season may not end up hampering him all that much.
- Brennen Davis: 1-1, HR (1), R, 3 RBI, 3 BB, SB (1) (.250)
- Jake Washer: 1-3, RBI (.120)
- Cole Roederer: 1-4, 2B, R, BB, SB (3) (.218)
- D.J. Wilson: 0-2, 2 BB, SB (1) (.375)
- Chris Kachmar: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 2 K (5.00)
- Emilio Bocchi: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K (4.91)
Recent callup Flemin Bautista delivered three hits and a walk, proving to be a more than adequate injury replacement for Ed Howard and Luis Verdugo, at least for one game. The Pelicans broke open the game thanks to a five-run 7th inning, capped off by Bautista’s two-run double.
- Flemin Bautista: 3-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB (.750)
- Edmond Americaan: 1-3, 2 R, BB, SB (2) (.219)
- Jacob Wetzel: 1-4, R, RBI, BB, SB (1) (.111)
- Jonathan Sierra: 0-3, R, RBI, 2 BB (.194)
- Scott Thoresen: 4 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 3 K (4.63)
- Jose Miguel Gonzalez: 2 IP, H, R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K (W, 1-0, 3.00)
- Eduarniel Nunez: 2 IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K (3.52)
- Scott Kobos: IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K (0.00)
Injuries, Updates, and Trends
Lefty Scott Kobos has opened his professional career with 14 K over 8 scoreless innings.
Daily Cubs Minors Recap