What’s New

3 killed, 16-year-old boy among 24 wounded in weekend shootings in ChicagoSun-Times Wireon December 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm

3 people killed and 26 others wounded in shootings over the weekend | Sun-Times file photo

In one of the fatal attacks, a man was shot Saturday morning while standing on the porch of his friend’s house in Palmer Square on the Northwest Side.

Three people were killed and a 16-year-old boy was among 24 others wounded by gunfire in Chicago over the weekend.

A man was fatally shot Saturday morning while standing on the porch of his friend’s house in Palmer Square on the Northwest Side, police said. Suraj Mahadeva, 26, was found with a gunshot wound to his head by his friend who heard a loud sound about 3:25 a.m. in the 2100 block of North Albany Avenue, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Saturday afternoon, a man was fatally shot in West Pullman on the Far South Side. Ralph Williams, 38, was sitting in a car in the 300 block of West 119th Street when two people approached and one of them shot into the car, about 12:10 p.m., police said. He struck in the back and transported to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead.
A man was found fatally shot Sunday afternoon in South Shore on the Far South Side. The man, 40, was found shot to death about 3:35 p.m. near a gangway of a residence in the 7500 block of South Yates Boulevard, police said. The man, who hasn’t been identified yet, was shot multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 16-year-old boy was shot and wounded Saturday afternoon in Gresham on the South Side. The teen was sitting in a car in the 8600 block of South Loomis Boulevard when someone in another car opened fire about 6:12 p.m., police said. He was struck in the back and was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was stabilized.
A few hours earlier, two people were wounded, one critically, in a drive-by shooting in Oakland on the South Side. About 2:30 p.m., the man and woman were standing in the 1000 block of East 43rd Street when someone fired shots, police said. A 45-year-old man was hit in the arm, leg and torso and was taken in critical condition to the University of Chicago Medical Center. A woman, 64, was shot in the leg and was taken to the same hospital, where she was stabilized.

At least 21 others were wounded in shootings across the city from Friday 5 p.m. to Monday 5 a.m.

Last weekend, nine people were killed and 23 others were wounded by gunfire across the city.

Read More

3 killed, 16-year-old boy among 24 wounded in weekend shootings in ChicagoSun-Times Wireon December 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm Read More »

Blackhawks’ Monday game postponed due to Flames’ COVID-19 outbreakBen Popeon December 13, 2021 at 3:02 pm

The Blackhawks won’t play the Flames on Monday as previously scheduled. | Getty

The Hawks won’t play again until Wednesday against the Capitals.

The Blackhawks’ homestand won’t begin Monday after all.

The Hawks’ scheduled game against the Flames at the United Center was postponed by the NHL on Monday morning due to a COVID-19 outbreak within the Flames.

The Flames have six players and one staff member in COVID protocols and there is “concern with continued spread and the likelihood of additional positive cases in the coming days,” the NHL said.

The team didn’t travel from Calgary to Chicago on Sunday ahead of the game due to concerns about players testing positive in the U.S. and thus being unable to return to Canada with the team due to border-crossing restrictions, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported.

The Flames’ games Tuesday against the Predators in Nashville and Thursday against the Maple Leafs in Calgary were also postponed.

The Hawks will return to action Wednesday against the Capitals at the United Center, and the team’s ceremony to honor Marc-Andre Fleury’s 500th career win last week will happen then. A makeup date for the Flames game wasn’t immediately announced.

Read More

Blackhawks’ Monday game postponed due to Flames’ COVID-19 outbreakBen Popeon December 13, 2021 at 3:02 pm Read More »

Golden Globe nominations announced in wake of industry controversyJake Coyle | AP Film Writeron December 13, 2021 at 3:12 pm

Snoop Dogg announces nominations for the 79th annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Monday in Beverly Hills, California. The 79th annual Golden Globe Awards will be held on Jan. 9, 2022. | Invision

There was no morning show live spot or immediate celebrity celebrations.

NEW YORK– After widespread criticism forced the organization that puts on the Golden Globes to lose its televised award show and overhaul its membership, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association nevertheless went ahead announcing nominees for film and television awards on Monday despite a skeptical entertainment industry.

Just as it’s done for many years, the HFPA gathered reporters at the Beverly Hilton to announce its picks for the 79th Golden Globes. But this time, there was no morning show live spot or immediate celebrity celebrations.

The HFPA, which usually has a handful of movie stars make their announcement, turned instead to Snoop Dogg, who read the nominees behind sunglasses and a red hat. The majority of studios, public relations firms and A-list talent haven’t engaged much with the group this year. Critics have said it’s too soon for the HFPA to return to business as usual. Some would rather see the Globes be gone for good.

But the press association tried its best to keep its perch in awards season on Monday, spreading nominations around to the likes of Will Smith (“King Richard”), Kristen Stewart (“Spencer”), “West Side Story” breakthrough Rachel Zegler, Leonardo DiCaprio (“Don’t Look Up”), Denzel Washington (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”), Ben Affleck (“The Tender Bar”) and Lady Gaga (“House of Gucci”).

The nominees for best picture, drama, went to Jane Campion’s gothic Western “The Power of the Dog,” Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic “Dune,” the family drama “CODA,” Reinaldo Marcus Green’s tennis biopic “King Richard” and Kenneth Branagh’s autobiographical “Belfast.”

The comedy or musical picks for best picture were: Adam McKay’s apocalyptic comedy “Don’t Look Up,” Paul Thomas Anderson’s ’70s San Fernando Valley comedy “Licorice Pizza,” Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story,” Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “Tick, Tick … Boom!” and Joe Wright’s “Cyrano.”

“Belfast” and “The Power of the Dog” tied for the most nominations with seven apiece. Netflix dominated the film nominees with 17 nods in total.

Normally, such honors would set off a flurry of delight from early-roused nominees and their studios, who would trumpet their triumphs on social media and in calls with reporters. On Monday morning, no nominee immediately celebrated — publicly, at least.

The press association claims that in the nine months since its 2021 show, it has remade itself. “HFPA 2.0,” recently elected president Helen Hoehne has said. The group has added a chief diversity officer; overhauled its board; inducted 21 new members, including six Black journalists; brought in the NAACP on a five-year partnership; and updated its code of conduct.

“This has been a year of change and reflection for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association,” Hoehne said Monday.

All of that came after a Los Angeles Times’ expose detailed some of the HFPA’s unethical behavior and revealed that its 87 voting members didn’t include one Black journalist. Studios said they would boycott the Globes and more than 100 PR films said their clients wouldn’t participate until the HFPA swiftly implemented “profound and lasting change.” Tom Cruise returned his three Globes to the group’s headquarters.

NBC, the Globes’ longtime telecaster, has said it won’t air the 2022 Globes because “change of this magnitude takes time and work.” The Globes have still set a date of January 9 but haven’t shared any details about what kind of ceremony that would be.

Much of the Globes’ power has always resided in its lively telecast, regularly one of the most-watched non-sports broadcasts of the year. The Globes also serve as a promotional tool for many of the awards-hopefuls hitting theaters in December. But this year, few expect to see ads and TV commercials trumpeting a film’s Golden Globes nominations.

Here are some of the category nominations:

Best television series — musical or comedy:

“The Great”

“Hacks”

“Only Murders in the Building”

“Reservation Dogs”

“Ted Lasso”

Best motion picture — musical or comedy:

“Cyrano”

“Don’t Look Up”

“Licorice Pizza”

“Tick, Tick… Boom!”

“West Side Story”

Best motion picture — drama:

“Belfast”

“CODA”

“Dune”

“King Richard”

“The Power of the Dog”

Best actor in a television series — drama:

Brian Cox, “Succession”

Lee Jung-jae, “Squid Game”

Billy Porter, “Pose”

Jeremy Strong, “Succession”

Omar Sy, “Lupin”

Best actress in a miniseries or television film:

Jessica Chastain, “Scenes from a Marriage”

Cynthia Erivo, “Genius: Aretha”

Elizabeth Olsen, “WandaVision”

Margaret Qualley, “Maid”

Kate Winslet, “Mare of Easttown”

Best actor in a miniseries or television film:

Paul Bettany, “WandaVision”

Oscar Isaac, “Scenes from a Marriage”

Michael Keaton, “Dopesick”

Ewan McGregor, “Halston”

Tahar Rahim, “The Serpent”

Best actor in a motion picture — musical or comedy:

Leonardo DiCaprio, “Don’t Look Up”

Peter Dinklage, “Cyrano”

Andrew Garfield, “Tick, Tick… Boom!”

Cooper Hoffman, “Licorice Pizza”

Anthony Ramos, “In The Heights”

Best actress in a motion picture — musical or comedy:

Marion Cotillard, “Annette”

Alana Haim, “Licorice Pizza”

Jennifer Lawrence, “Don’t Look Up”

Emma Stone, “Cruella”

Rachel Zegler, “West Side Story”

Best television series — drama:

“Lupin”

“The Morning Show”

“Pose”

“Squid Game”

“Succession”

Read More

Golden Globe nominations announced in wake of industry controversyJake Coyle | AP Film Writeron December 13, 2021 at 3:12 pm Read More »

Bulls reach 10 players in protocol after Alize Johnson tests positiveJoe Cowleyon December 13, 2021 at 3:40 pm

The game with Detroit on Tuesday was still on as long as the Bulls have eight eligible bodies. They sit at eight as of Monday morning, and could get Coby White and Javonte Green back.

The Bulls continue watching players march into the league’s coronavirus health and safety protocols, as reserve forward/center Alize Johnson became the 10th member of the roster to be shut down on Monday morning.

The Bulls currently have eight eligible players for Tuesday’s game with Detroit, but Coby White started the cardio scanning on Sunday – the final hump before a return – and Javonte Green could also be ready for the Pistons game.

The league minimum for a game to be postponed is eight.

White was the first one in this current group of 10 to test positive, followed by Green and then a list that included DeMar DeRozan, Matt Thomas, Derrick Jones Jr., Stanley Johnson, Ayo Dosunmu, Troy Brown Jr., Zach LaVine, and now Johnson.

Broadcasters Stacey King and Bill Wennington are also in the protocol.

Read More

Bulls reach 10 players in protocol after Alize Johnson tests positiveJoe Cowleyon December 13, 2021 at 3:40 pm Read More »

Bulls coach Billy Donovan takes rare look at the big postseason pictureJoe Cowleyon December 13, 2021 at 3:26 pm

There’s been a lot on the plate for Donovan and the organization the last month, but while the journey is different for every team, the coach feels that this roster has something sustainable for playoff basketball.

Billy Donovan has seen both sides of it.

He’s coached a team with elite star power named Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook in his early Oklahoma City days, and then he also coached talented players that weren’t necessarily considered the best of the best talent-wise, but were hell-bent on beating anyone, anytime, pick-up games included.

His 2020 Thunder team was like that, but the Joakim Noah Florida Gators championship teams were the perfect model of that mentality.

Yes, they had talent at the college level, but their sixth man was the chip that they all carried on their shoulders from game-to-game, with the focus being destroying whatever was in front of them.

So what does Donovan feel he has with this current Bulls roster? He’s still obviously sifting through that, but he definitely feels there’s something sustainable come playoff time.

The 2021-22 Bulls play defense, and they definitely wear that disrespect chip well.

DeMar DeRozan feels like the league put him in a missing ad on a milk carton while he was in San Antonio, Zach LaVine is chasing max contract respect, Lonzo Ball is on his third team in five seasons, Ayo Dosunmu thought he was a first-round talent that slid to the second round … go right down the list.

A blend of talent and proving the league wrong.

“I do think this is sustainable, but listen once you get into the playoffs and are fortunate to play in the postseason, it’s like one team versus one team, and that’s all you’re focused on,” Donovan told the Sun-Times. “Trying to find baskets is hard to come by. There’s no secrets, there’s no tricks. You try putting in some new ATOs [After Time Out sets] and things like that, but the familiarity over two and three games is incredible. But I do think this group can sustain our edge.”

Donovan doesn’t like talking about big picture very often. Like most coaches, he wants the focus to be the next game and only the next game.

The fact that the Bulls also woke up on Monday with 10 players in the league’s health and safety protocol after Alize Johnson tested positive is atop the priority list, but even that could be a blessing for Donovan.

The coach admitted that he hasn’t loved the minutes LaVine and Ball have been forced to play throughout November.

According to Donovan, players like Nikola Vucevic missing seven games last month, and however many games DeRozan and LaVine have to miss, “could pay dividends” come postseason.

Not that there aren’t concerns.

Vucevic obviously has to find consistency, the Bulls foul too much, which superstar players will expose in the playoffs, and scoring in transition won’t be as easy in playoff basketball, so the Bulls need to improve their offensive patience when the opposing team is in a set defense.

Then there’s also the reality of the league.

There are still teams in the Eastern Conference with superstar talent that are fine with easing into the postseason, rather than winning each day. A team like Philadelphia with Joel Embiid could earn a lower seed and go on a run.

Some players know how to flip that switch, some just leave the switch on.

Donovan knows that and wants his team prepared for whichever scenario plays out.

“What happens in pressure situations is most teams revert back to your habits,” Donovan said. “It gets to the end of the year and we don’t have good habits, it’s hard to say in a timeout, ‘Hey, let’s block-out and rebound better.’ You haven’t been doing that the whole entire year. There’s certain things you have to do habitually every single night that the game needs you to do. That’s what we need to continue building.

“Our veteran guys understand that, and that’s a good thing.”

Read More

Bulls coach Billy Donovan takes rare look at the big postseason pictureJoe Cowleyon December 13, 2021 at 3:26 pm Read More »

Did you hear? Obama and Eric Holder condemn Illinois gerrymandering.on December 13, 2021 at 3:14 pm

The Barbershop: Dennis Byrne, Proprietor

Did you hear? Obama and Eric Holder condemn Illinois gerrymandering.

Read More

Did you hear? Obama and Eric Holder condemn Illinois gerrymandering.on December 13, 2021 at 3:14 pm Read More »

Stay Gold, Packers. Please.on December 13, 2021 at 3:15 pm

Where Are We Going So Fast?

Stay Gold, Packers. Please.

About ChicagoNow

FAQs

Advertise

Recent posts RSS

Privacy policy (Updated)

Comment policy

Terms of service

Chicago Tribune Archives

Do not sell my personal info

©2021 CTMG – A Chicago Tribune website –
Crafted by the News Apps team

Read More

Stay Gold, Packers. Please.on December 13, 2021 at 3:15 pm Read More »

My favorite Christmas gift from 2020on December 13, 2021 at 3:32 pm

The Social Butterfly Mom

My favorite Christmas gift from 2020

Read More

My favorite Christmas gift from 2020on December 13, 2021 at 3:32 pm Read More »

Source: Johnson positive, Bulls’ 10th in protocolon December 13, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Chicago Bulls forward Alize Johnson has tested positive for COVID-19 and has entered the league protocols, a source told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Johnson becomes the 10th Chicago player to enter the protocols, potentially jeopardizing the status of the Bulls’ game Tuesday against the Detroit Pistons.

The Bulls had eight active players as of Monday morning, which is the NBA’s minimum requirement to play a game.

Johnson joins Zach LaVine, Troy Brown Jr., DeMar DeRozan, Coby White, Javonte Green, Matt Thomas, Derrick Jones Jr., Ayo Dosunmu and Stanley Johnson as players sidelined right now.

Bulls broadcasters Stacey King and Bill Wennington are also at home in isolation due to the league’s protocols.

Players who enter health and safety protocols must quarantine for 10 days or until they return two negative PCR tests within a 24-hour window.

Read More

Source: Johnson positive, Bulls’ 10th in protocolon December 13, 2021 at 3:46 pm Read More »