What’s New

Major museums aren’t the only game in townon December 13, 2021 at 7:25 pm

Retired in Chicago

Major museums aren’t the only game in town

Read More

Major museums aren’t the only game in townon December 13, 2021 at 7:25 pm Read More »

6 Ways Small Business Owners Can Save Moneyon December 13, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Small Business Blog

6 Ways Small Business Owners Can Save Money

Read More

6 Ways Small Business Owners Can Save Moneyon December 13, 2021 at 7:49 pm Read More »

Christmas Fear 2021 | An Interactive Christmas Haunted Houseon December 13, 2021 at 7:46 pm

Count Gregula’s Crypt

Christmas Fear 2021 | An Interactive Christmas Haunted House

Read More

Christmas Fear 2021 | An Interactive Christmas Haunted Houseon December 13, 2021 at 7:46 pm Read More »

Michael Jordan Wheaties box continues cereal maker’s 100th anniversary celebrationMiriam Di Nunzioon December 13, 2021 at 7:32 pm

Michael Jordan (pictured in 1991 in a game against the Portland Trailblazers) is the latest sports icon to be featured in the Wheaties Century Series. | NBAE via Getty Images

The Century Box Series kicked off earlier this year with a Muhammad Ali edition.

Wheaties is celebrating its 100th anniversary with nod to Chicago Bulls superstar Michael Jordan.

The cereal maker on Monday announced the release of a limited-edition Wheaties box featuring Jordan and his signature on the cover — the 19th time for the NBA basketball legend. Jordan first appeared on the box cover in 1988.

General Mills
The limited-edition Wheaties Michael Jordan Gold Foil Box is available online.

“A modern-day legend and inspiration for champions of all ages, Michael Jordan is an incredible athlete, humanitarian and entrepreneur,” said Kathy Dixon, senior brand experience manager for Wheaties via statement. “We are so proud to launch the next box in our anniversary series honoring one of the greatest sports stars and most-decorated Wheaties athlete in history.”

The Michael Jordan Wheaties Century Box, is currently available at national grocery retailers ($4.99 suggested retail price). Fans can also purchase a limited-edition Michael Jordan Gold Foil Box for $25 at www.Shop.Wheaties.com beginning at 11 a.m. (Chicago time) on Dec. 14.

The century box series kicked off earlier this year with a Muhammad Ali edition.

Read More

Michael Jordan Wheaties box continues cereal maker’s 100th anniversary celebrationMiriam Di Nunzioon December 13, 2021 at 7:32 pm Read More »

NBA postpones next 2 Bulls games amid outbreakon December 13, 2021 at 7:11 pm

As a COVID-19 outbreak sidelines 10 of its players, the NBA has postponed the next two Chicago Bulls games to allow the franchise to start getting back healthy players and curb further spread.

In the first game casualties of the season, the NBA will reschedule the Bulls-Pistons game on Tuesday in Chicago and Bulls-Raptors on Thursday in Toronto for future dates.

The Bulls were eager to have the league grant them relief with the postponements and support from the Chicago Department of Public Health, which impacted the league’s decision, sources said.

After forward Alize Johnson tested positive and entered protocols on Monday, sources said, the Bulls were down to a league minimum of eight players — and some of those weren’t even among the top regular rotation players.

Johnson joins a lengthy list of Bulls in the league’s health and safety protocols that includes Zach LaVine, DeMar DeRozan, Troy Brown Jr., Coby White, Javonte Green, Matt Thomas, Derrick Jones Jr., Ayo Dosunmu and Stanley Johnson.

Once players enter the league’s protocols, they must quarantine for 10 days or until they return two negative PCR tests within a 24-hour window.

The Bulls have added at least one new player to the health and safety protocols for three straight days since their outbreak started at the beginning of the month. The team did not hold an organized practice on Monday.

Read More

NBA postpones next 2 Bulls games amid outbreakon December 13, 2021 at 7:11 pm Read More »

NBA postpones next 2 Bulls games amid outbreakon December 13, 2021 at 7:30 pm

As a COVID-19 outbreak sidelines 10 of its players, the NBA has postponed the next two Chicago Bulls games to allow the franchise to start getting back healthy players and curb further spread.

In the first game casualties of the season, the NBA will reschedule the Bulls-Pistons game on Tuesday in Chicago and Bulls-Raptors on Thursday in Toronto for future dates.

The Bulls were eager to have the league grant them relief with the postponements and support from the Chicago Department of Public Health, which impacted the league’s decision, sources said.

After forward Alize Johnson tested positive and entered protocols on Monday, sources said, the Bulls were down to a league minimum of eight players — and some of those weren’t even among the top regular rotation players.

Johnson joins a lengthy list of Bulls in the league’s health and safety protocols that includes Zach LaVine, DeMar DeRozan, Troy Brown Jr., Coby White, Javonte Green, Matt Thomas, Derrick Jones Jr., Ayo Dosunmu and Stanley Johnson.

Once players enter the league’s protocols, they must quarantine for 10 days or until they return two negative PCR tests within a 24-hour window.

The Bulls have added at least one new player to the health and safety protocols for three straight days since their outbreak started at the beginning of the month. The team did not hold an organized practice on Monday.

Read More

NBA postpones next 2 Bulls games amid outbreakon December 13, 2021 at 7:30 pm Read More »

Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert among 2022 Windy City Smokeout headlinersMiriam Di Nunzioon December 13, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Miranda Lambert is scheduled to headline the 2022 Windy City Smokeout. | AP

The four-day festival runs Aug. 4-7 at the United Center parking lot.

Headliners for the 2022 Windy City Smokeout country music/BBQ festival were announced Monday.

Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert, Sam Hunt and Willie Nelson and Family are set to headline the four-day festival Aug. 4-7 at the United Center parking lot. The full lineup of bands will be announced at a future date.

Four-day passes for the annual fest, hosted this year by Bub City and Joe’s Bar, are currently on sale. The tiered-passes are priced at (not including ticket fees):

$149 (4-day, general admission) includes access to daily happy hour, free entry for children 10 and under, and in-and-out privileges;
$899 (4-day VIP) includes an elevated/covered covered viewing area, welcome gift, air-conditioned restrooms, private cash bar;
$1,750 (new Super VIP pass) boasts deluxe climate-controlled upper-deck and private viewing areas, personal concierge services, a welcome gift, VIP parking/golf car service to and from festival grounds, complimentary top-shelf wine and beer, curated lunch/dinner service and more.

Layaway options are available for all ticket tiers. Single-day passes will go on sale at a future date.

For more info on the festival, visit www.windycitysmokeout.com.

Read More

Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert among 2022 Windy City Smokeout headlinersMiriam Di Nunzioon December 13, 2021 at 5:23 pm Read More »

Golden Globes nominations announced in wake of industry controversyJake Coyle | AP Film Writeron December 13, 2021 at 4:22 pm

Snoop Dogg announces nominations for the 79th annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Monday in Beverly Hills, California. The 79th annual Golden Globe Awards will be held on Jan. 9, 2022. | Invision

There was no morning show live spot or immediate celebrity celebrations.

NEW YORK — After widespread criticism forced the organization that puts on the Golden Globes to lose its televised award show and overhaul its membership, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association nevertheless went ahead announcing nominees for film and television awards on Monday despite a skeptical entertainment industry.

Just as it’s done for many years, the HFPA gathered reporters at the Beverly Hilton to announce its picks for the 79th Golden Globes. But this time, there was no nationally televised morning-show live spot or any immediate celebrity celebrations. Hollywood mostly shrugged.

The HFPA, which usually has a handful of movie stars make their announcement, turned instead to Snoop Dogg, who read the nominees behind sunglasses and a red hat during a live stream on the Globes’ YouTube page. The majority of studios, public relations firms and A-list talent haven’t engaged much this year with the group, which dropped its usual requirement that films be submitted for consideration. Critics have said it’s too soon for the HFPA to return to business as usual. Some would rather see the Globes be gone for good.

But the press association tried to maintain its perch in awards season on Monday, spreading nominations around to the likes of Will Smith (“King Richard”), Kristen Stewart (“Spencer”), “West Side Story” breakthrough Rachel Zegler, Leonardo DiCaprio (“Don’t Look Up”), Denzel Washington (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”), Ben Affleck (“The Tender Bar”) and Lady Gaga (“House of Gucci”).

The nominees for best picture, drama, went to Jane Campion’s gothic Western “The Power of the Dog,” Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic “Dune,” the family drama “CODA,” Reinaldo Marcus Green’s tennis biopic “King Richard” and Kenneth Branagh’s autobiographical “Belfast.”

The comedy or musical picks for best picture were: Adam McKay’s apocalyptic comedy “Don’t Look Up,” Paul Thomas Anderson’s ’70s ode to San Fernando Valley “Licorice Pizza,” Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story,” Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “Tick, Tick … Boom!” and Joe Wright’s “Cyrano.”

“Belfast” and “The Power of the Dog” tied for the most nominations with seven apiece. Netflix dominated the film nominees with 17 nods in total. HBO’s “Succession” led the TV side with five nominations, including nods for best drama and best actor in a drama series for recent New Yorker profile subject Jeremy Strong.

Normally, such honors would set off a flurry of delight from early-roused nominees and their studios — an awards triumph to be trumpeted on social media and in calls with reporters. On Monday morning, no nominee immediately celebrated — publicly, at least.

The press association claims that in the nine months since its 2021 show, it has remade itself. “HFPA 2.0,” recently elected president Helen Hoehne has said. The group has added a chief diversity officer; overhauled its board; inducted 21 new members, including six Black journalists; brought in the NAACP on a five-year partnership; and updated its code of conduct.

“This has been a year of change and reflection for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association,” Hoehne said Monday.

All of that came after a Los Angeles Times’ expose detailed some of the HFPA’s unethical behavior and revealed that its 87 voting members didn’t include one Black journalist. Studios said they would boycott the Globes and more than 100 PR films said their clients wouldn’t participate until the HFPA swiftly implemented “profound and lasting change.” Tom Cruise returned his three Globes to the group’s headquarters.

NBC, the Globes’ longtime telecaster, has said it won’t air the 2022 Globes because “change of this magnitude takes time and work.” The Globes have still set a date of January 9 but haven’t shared any details about what kind of ceremony that would be. The Critics Choice Awards have sought to fill the void, even seeking to secure the Globes’ usual home at the Beverly Hilton for its telecast. That bid failed but the Critics Choice Awards, which were to also announce nominees Monday, will likewise take place on Jan. 9, airing on TBS and the CW.

Much of the Globes’ power has always resided in its lively telecast, regularly one of the most-watched non-sports broadcasts of the year. The Globes also serve as a promotional tool for many of the awards-hopefuls hitting theaters in December. But this year, few expect to see ads and TV commercials trumpeting a film’s Golden Globes nominations.

Here’s a partial list of nominations:

MOVIES

Best picture, drama: “Belfast”; “CODA”; “Dune”; “King Richard”; “The Power of the Dog.”

Best picture, musical or comedy: “Cyrano”; “Don’t Look Up”; “Licorice Pizza”; “Tick, Tick…Boom!”; “West Side Story.”

Best actress, drama: Jessica Chastain, “The Eyes of Tammy Faye”; Olivia Colman, “The Lost Daughter”; Nicole Kidman, “Being the Ricardos”; Lady Gaga, “House of Gucci”; Kristen Stewart, “Spencer.”

Best actor, drama: Mahershala Ali, “Swan Song”; Javier Bardem, “Being the Ricardos”; Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Power of the Dog”; Will Smith, “King Richard”; Denzel Washington, “The Tragedy of Macbeth.”

Best actress, musical or comedy: Marion Cotillard, “Annette”; Alana Haim, “Licorice Pizza”; Jennifer Lawrence, “Don’t Look Up”; Emma Stone, “Cruella”; Rachel Zegler, “West Side Story.”

Best actor, musical or comedy: Leonardo DiCaprio, “Don’t Look Up”; Peter Dinklage, “Cyrano”; Andrew Garfield, “Tick, Tick…Boom!”; Cooper Hoffman, “Licorice Pizza”; Anthony Ramos, “In the Heights.”

Animated: “Encanto”; “Flee”; “Luca”; “My Sunny Maad”; Raya and the Last Dragon.”

Non-English Language: “Compartment No. 6,” Finland, Russia and Germany; “Drive My Car,” Japan; “The Hand of God,” Italy; “A Hero,” France and Iran; “Parallel Mothers,” Spain.

Director: Kenneth Branagh, “Belfast”; Jane Campion, “The Power of the Dog,”; Maggie Gyllenhaal, “The Lost Daughter”; Steven Spielberg, “West Side Story”; Denis Villeneuve, “Dune.”

TELEVISION

Drama series: “Lupin”; “The Morning Show”; “Pose”; “Squid Game”; “Succession.”

Comedy series: “The Great”; “Hacks”; “Only Murders in the Building”; “Reservation Dogs”; “Ted Lasso.”

Limited Series: “Dopesick”; “Impeachment: American Crime Story”; “Maid”; “Mare of Easttown”; “The Underground Railroad.”

Actress, drama series: Uzo Aduba, “In Treatment”; Jennifer Aniston, “The Morning Show”; Christine Baranski, “The Good Fight”; Elisabeth Moss, “The Handmaid’s Tale”; Michaela Jae Rodriguez, “Pose.”

Actor, drama series: Brian Cox, “Succession”; Lee Jung-jae, “Squid Game”; Billy Porter, “Pose”; Jeremy Strong, “Succession”; Omar Sy, “Lupin.”

Actress, comedy or musical series: Hannah Einbinder, “Hacks”; Elle Fanning, “The Great”; Issa Rae, “Insecure”; Tracee Ellis Ross, “black-ish”; Jean Smart, “Hacks.”

Actor, comedy or musical series: Anthony Anderson, “black-ish”; Nicholas Hoult, “The Great”; Steve Martin, “Only Murders in the Building”; Martin Short, “Only Murders in the Building”; Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso.”

Actress, limited series: Jessica Chastain, “Scenes from a Marriage”; Cynthia Erivo, “Genius: Aretha”; Elisabeth Olsen, “Wandavision”; Margaret Qualley, “Maid”; Kate Winslet, “Mare of Easttown.”

Actor, limited series: Paul Bettany, “Wandavision”; Oscar Isaac, “Scenes from a Marriage”; Michael Keaton,” Dopesick; Ewan McGregor, “Halston”; Tahar Rahim, “The Serpent.”

Read More

Golden Globes nominations announced in wake of industry controversyJake Coyle | AP Film Writeron December 13, 2021 at 4:22 pm Read More »

Bulls reach 10 players in protocol after Alize Johnson tests positiveJoe Cowleyon December 13, 2021 at 3:40 pm

The Bulls’ Alize Johnson competes for a loose ball with the Pistons’ Kelly Olynyk. | Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

The game with Detroit on Tuesday was still on as long as the Bulls have eight eligible bodies. They sit at eight as of Monday morning, and could get Coby White and Javonte Green back.

The Bulls continue watching players march into the league’s coronavirus health and safety protocols, as reserve forward/center Alize Johnson became the 10th member of the roster to be shut down on Monday morning.

The Bulls currently have eight eligible players for Tuesday’s game with Detroit, but Coby White started the cardio scanning on Sunday – the final hump before a return – and Javonte Green could also be ready for the Pistons game.

The league minimum for a game to be postponed is eight.

White was the first one in this current group of 10 to test positive, followed by Green and then a list that included DeMar DeRozan, Matt Thomas, Derrick Jones Jr., Stanley Johnson, Ayo Dosunmu, Troy Brown Jr., Zach LaVine, and now Johnson.

Broadcasters Stacey King and Bill Wennington are also in the protocol.

Read More

Bulls reach 10 players in protocol after Alize Johnson tests positiveJoe Cowleyon December 13, 2021 at 3:40 pm Read More »

Source: Johnson positive, Bulls’ 10th in protocolon December 13, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Chicago Bulls forward Alize Johnson has tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday morning, sources told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, making him the 10th Bulls player to land in the NBA’s health and safety protocols as an ongoing team outbreak continues to rip through Chicago’s roster.

Johnson joins a lengthy list of Bulls in the league’s health and safety protocols that includes Zach LaVine, DeMar DeRozan, Troy Brown Jr., Coby White, Javonte Green, Matt Thomas, Derrick Jones Jr., Ayo Dosunmu and Stanley Johnson.

Once players enter the league’s protocols, they must quarantine for 10 days or until they return two negative PCR tests within a 24-hour window.

The Bulls have added at least one new player to health and safety protocols for three straight days since their outbreak started at the beginning of the month. The team did not hold an organized practice on Monday.

The outbreak leaves Chicago with eight players currently available for Tuesday’s game against the Detroit Pistons, including two two-way players and one player on a 10-day contract. Both Green and White, who worked out at the team’s facility Sunday for the first time since testing positive, will have completed their isolation period and would be eligible to return Tuesday.

The NBA mandates a minimum of eight players for each team before postponing a game for a team outbreak.

Read More

Source: Johnson positive, Bulls’ 10th in protocolon December 13, 2021 at 3:59 pm Read More »