What’s New

Israeli strikes kill 42, topple buildings in Gaza Cityon May 16, 2021 at 2:46 pm

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — Israeli airstrikes on Gaza City flattened three buildings and killed at least 42 people Sunday, medics said, as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu signaled the fighting between Israel and Palestinians in Gaza would continue despite international efforts to broker a cease fire.

In a televised address, Netanyahu said Sunday evening the attacks were continuing at “full-force” and will “take time.” Israel “wants to levy a heavy price” from Gaza’s militant Hamas rulers, he said.

The violence marked the worst fighting here since the devastating 2014 war in Gaza.

The airstrikes Sunday hit a busy downtown street of residential buildings and storefronts over the course of five minutes just after midnight, destroying two adjacent buildings and one about 50 yards (meters) down the road.

At one point, a rescuer shouted, “Can you hear me?” into a hole in the rubble. “Are you OK?” Minutes later, first responders pulled a survivor out and carried him off on an orange stretcher. The Gaza Health Ministry said 16 women and 10 children were among those killed, with more than 50 people wounded, and rescue efforts are still underway.

Earlier, the Israeli military said it destroyed the home of Gaza’s top Hamas leader, Yahiyeh Sinwar, in a separate strike in the southern town of Khan Younis. It was the third such attack in the last two days on the homes of senior Hamas leaders, who have gone underground.

Israel appears to have stepped up strikes in recent days to inflict as much damage as possible on Hamas as international mediators work to end the fighting. But targeting the group’s leaders could hinder those efforts. A U.S. diplomat is in the region to try to de-escalate tensions, and the U.N. Security Council is set to meet Sunday.

In its airstrikes, Israel has leveled a number of Gaza City’s tallest office and residential buildings, alleging they contain Hamas military infrastructure. Among them was the building housing The Associated Press office and those of other media outlets.

The latest outbreak of violence began in east Jerusalem last month, when Palestinian protests and clashes with police broke out in response to Israeli police tactics during Ramadan and the threatened eviction of dozens of Palestinian families by Jewish settlers. A focal point of clashes was the Al-Aqsa Mosque, a frequent flashpoint that is located on a hilltop compound that is revered by both Muslims and Jews.

Hamas fired rockets toward Jerusalem late Monday, triggering the Israeli assault on impoverished Gaza, which is home to more than 2 million Palestinians and has been under an Israeli and Egyptian blockade since Hamas seized power from rival Palestinian forces in 2007.

The turmoil has also spilled over elsewhere, fueling protests in the occupied West Bank and stoking violence within Israel between its Jewish and Arab citizens, with clashes and vigilante attacks on people and property. The violence also sparked pro-Palestinian protests in cities across Europe and the United States, with French police firing tear gas and water cannons at demonstrators in Paris.

At least 188 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza, including 55 children and 33 women, with 1,230 people wounded. Eight people in Israel have been killed, including a 5-year-old boy and a soldier.

The military said Sunday it struck Sinwar’s home and that of his brother Muhammad, another senior Hamas member. On Saturday it destroyed the home of Khalil al-Hayeh, a senior figure in Hamas’ political branch.

Hamas’ upper echelon has gone into hiding in Gaza, and it is unlikely any were at home at the time of the strikes. Hamas’ top leader, Ismail Haniyeh, divides his time between Turkey and Qatar, both of which provide political support to the group.

Hamas and the Islamic Jihad militant group have acknowledged 20 fighters killed since the fighting broke out Monday. Israel says the real number is far higher and has released the names and photos of two dozen alleged operatives it says were “eliminated.”

An Egyptian diplomat said Israel’s targeting of Hamas political leaders would complicate cease-fire efforts. The diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the closed-door negotiations, said Cairo is working to broker an end to the fighting, as are other international actors.

The Egyptian diplomat said the destruction of Hamas’ rocket capabilities would require a ground invasion that would “inflame the whole region.” Egypt, which made peace with Israel decades ago, has threatened to “suspend” cooperation in various fields, the official said, without elaborating.

Meanwhile, the Biden administration has affirmed its support for Israel while working to de-escalate the crisis. American diplomat Hady Amr met with Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz, who thanked the U.S. for its support. Gantz said Israel “takes every precaution to strike at military targets only and avoid harming civilians, while its civilians are the targets of indiscriminate attack.”

Hamas and other militant groups have fired some 2,900 rockets into Israel. The military said 450 of the rockets had fallen short or misfired, while Israeli air defenses intercepted 1,150.

The interception rate appeared to have significantly dropped since the start of the conflict, when Israel said 90% were intercepted. The military did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Israel has meanwhile carried out hundreds of airstrikes across Gaza.

On Saturday, Israel bombed the 12-story al-Jalaa Building, where the office of The Associated Press was located. The building also housed the TV network Al-Jazeera and other media outlets, along with several floors of apartments.

“The campaign will continue as long as it is required,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said. He alleged that Hamas military intelligence was operating inside the building.

Israel routinely cites a Hamas presence as a reason for targeting certain locations in airstrikes, including residential buildings. The military also has accused the militant group of using journalists as human shields, but provided no evidence to back up the claims.

The AP has operated from the building for 15 years, including through three previous wars between Israel and Hamas. During those conflicts as well as the current one, the news agency’s cameras, operating from its top floor office and roof terrace, offered 24-hour live shots as militants’ rockets arched toward Israel and Israeli airstrikes hammered the city and its surroundings.

“We have had no indication Hamas was in the building or active in the building,” AP President and CEO Gary Pruitt said in a statement. “This is something we actively check to the best of our ability. We would never knowingly put our journalists at risk.”

In the afternoon, the military called the building’s owner and warned a strike would come within an hour. AP staffers and other occupants evacuated safely. Soon after, three missiles hit the building and destroyed it, bringing it crashing down in a giant cloud of dust.

“The world will know less about what is happening in Gaza because of what happened today,” Pruitt said. “We are shocked and horrified.”

___

Krauss reported from Jerusalem. Associated Press writers Samy Magdy in Cairo, Isaac Scharf in Jerusalem and Bassem Mroue in Beirut contributed.

Read More

Israeli strikes kill 42, topple buildings in Gaza Cityon May 16, 2021 at 2:46 pm Read More »

2 Chicago cops shot in LawndaleSophie Sherryon May 16, 2021 at 1:08 pm

A Chicago Police officer at a crime scene
Two Chicago police officers were shot May 16, 2021, in Lawndale. | Sun-Times file photo

The shooting happened in the 1500 block of South Lawndale Avenue, Chicago police said.

Two Chicago police officers were shot Sunday morning in Lawndale on the West Side.

The shooting happened about 7:10 a.m. in the 1500 block of South Lawndale Avenue, Chicago police said.

One officer was shot in the shoulder and was in “critical but stable” condition at Mt. Sinai Hospital, according to CPD spokesman Tom Ahern. The other officer suffered a gunshot wound to the hand and was in good condition at the same hospital.

The person who fired shots at the officers was also struck, according to Ahern. That person’s condition was unknown.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Read More

2 Chicago cops shot in LawndaleSophie Sherryon May 16, 2021 at 1:08 pm Read More »

Michael Jordan gets roasted in ‘SNL’ parody of ‘The Last Dance’Darel Jevenson May 16, 2021 at 4:33 am

Keegan-Michael Key impersonates Michael Jordan during a parody of “The Last Dance” on the May 15, 2021, episode of “Saturday Night Live.” | NBC

Host Keegan-Michael Key zings MJ’s drive to win by recalling his hallway bet with a security guard, a highlight of last year’s Bulls docuseries.

It’s been a year since “The Last Dance” stirred up a new wave of interest in Michael Jordan’s heyday, but that didn’t stop “Saturday Night Live” from spoofing one if its iconic moments this weekend.

Host Keegan-Michael Key, a former Chicago improv star, played His Airness in flashback to the bit where Jordan played quarters with security guard John Michael Wozniak — and lost. Wozniak gloated with a “whaddya gonna do”-style shrug.

In this version, Jordan does not lose $5 bet gracefully. Looking back at the exchange years later, the notoriously driven, win-at-all-costs superstar says he was happy for his friend until “he did that little shrug, and I took that personally.”


NBC
Heidi Gardner plays former Chicago Bulls security guard John Michael Wozniak, demonstrating his trademark shrug, on “Saturday Night Live.”

He insists on a rematch and vindictively raises the stakes to $1,000. The guard (played by cast member Heidi Gardner, with Wozniak’s trademark epic white perm) reluctantly agrees, but admits after losing, “That is financially rough for me.”

And then Jordan keeps piling on, insisting the next wagers include Wozniak’s pants, his glasses and worse. Wozniak gamely keeps up his cheery demeanor as he’s stripped of his property but ultimate grumbles to Jordan, “You have a problem.”

The bit also had room for visits from Phil Jackson (Alex Moffat, a former Bulls halftime performer), Charles Barkley (Kenan Thompson) and Dennis Rodman (Chris Redd, another former Chicagoan), who sums up the theme of the scene: “[Jordan] didn’t just want to beat you. He wanted to dominate you. He wanted to embarrass you.”

Jordan has a history with “SNL,” highlighted by his turn as the host in 1991, when he famously read daily affirmations into a mirror with confidence booster Stuart Smalley (Al Franken) and bantered with the Bears-loving Superfans.

Keeping the local theme alive on Saturday, Weekend Update co-anchor Colin Jost also noted the city’s program of releasing feral cats to reduce the rat population and quoted an alleged Chicago health commissioner as saying, in his best nasal Superfan voice, “Da caaats combat da raaats and dat’s daaat.”

Read More

Michael Jordan gets roasted in ‘SNL’ parody of ‘The Last Dance’Darel Jevenson May 16, 2021 at 4:33 am Read More »

Carlos Rodon battles, but takes first loss as Royals beat White Soxon May 16, 2021 at 3:26 am

Carlos Rodon’s 2021 resurgence hit a snag Saturday night. However, he still found a way to contribute something to the White Sox.

Facing a Royals team that had dropped 12 of 13, Rodon allowed four runs and eight hits in his worst start of the year as the Sox lost 5-1 to Kansas City. Rodon entered the game with a 5-0 record, tiny 0.58 ERA and a host of other superlatives that put him in the same company as some of the best pitchers in baseball history.

But it was obvious early Saturday that Rodon wasn’t at the level that made him one of the most pleasant surprises in the sport and helped propel the Sox to first place in the American League Central.

“It started to come back,” Rodon said of his command. “I started to feel it in the last three innings. I just wish it would’ve shown up earlier on.”

Pitching for the first time in eight days after having his Thursday start pushed back because of a tight right hamstring and tight back, Rodon gave up Jorge Soler’s RBI single in the first and needed 28 pitches to get out of the inning. Salvador Perez then made it 4-0 with a three-run homer in the third, hitting a pitch he had to expand the strike zone to reach.

Rodon didn’t blame rust for how he began Saturday. He said his velocity was where it needed to be, though his command and delivery weren’t.

But despite the bumpy beginning, Rodon managed to throw 110 pitches and go 5 2/3 innings to save the bullpen a little bit of work. Both he and manager Tony La Russa appreciated what that meant.

“It was something we needed,” Rodon said. “I know the bullpen’s been used a little bit lately. We’re about to go on a stretch here where there’s not too many off days to come by, so I was happy to take the ball and go as long as I could.”

The Sox lefty also got kudos from La Russa for not letting the game get away. With the Sox offense struggling against Royals starter Mike Minor other than a Jose Abreu homer, Rodon gave the Sox an outside chance to rally late.

“If he gives in, he gives up there, the game could get really ugly, we use a lot of arms,” La Russa said. “Just one of those starts where early on, I give him a lot of credit for limiting the damage and giving us the chance to win, so I was really impressed.”

La Russa didn’t sound too concerned about Rodon, whose struggles Saturday only emphasize how dominant he was in his first five outings to lead one of the best starting rotations in baseball. The four runs he gave up to Kansas City were double the two he had allowed previously all year. His ERA rose to just 1.47, and the three-run second was the first multi-run inning of the season for Rodon’s opponents. Even after giving up eight hits, Rodon’s still allowed only 20 this year.

Over the last three innings, Rodon more closely resembled that pitcher. His delivery improved and he began hitting his spots, going deeper into the game than it looked like he would after the third.

“That was a major accomplishment for us,” La Russa said. “He got two outs in the sixth. He gets the loss, we get the loss, but I think there’s a lot to look at and feel good about as far as Carlos is concerned.”

Read More

Carlos Rodon battles, but takes first loss as Royals beat White Soxon May 16, 2021 at 3:26 am Read More »

Somehow, Jose Abreu in White Sox lineup against RoyalsBrian Sandalowon May 15, 2021 at 9:24 pm

Jose Abreu and Hunter Dozier lie on the ground after their collision Friday. | Getty

One day after his scary collision with Hunter Dozier, Abreu started against Kansas City.

Somehow, Jose Abreu started at first base and hit fourth Saturday for the White Sox.

A day after his scary collision with the Royals’ Hunter Dozier, Abreu was checked by team doctors and given the go-ahead to play. Sox manager Tony La Russa said Abreu was eager to get back into the lineup after missing Game 2 of Friday’s doubleheader, and would’ve been inpatient if he had to wait until Sunday’s series finale to return.

That wasn’t the case.

The only waiting actually occurred before the game when the Sox held off on releasing their lineup until they knew Abreu’s status. During a phone call to explain the delay, La Russa and Royals counterpart Mike Matheny concurred the incident was unique.

“We both agreed I don’t think I’ve ever heard that kind of collision on a baseball field ever,” La Russa said. “The fact that they are both going to come out of it without anything serious is really a stroke of good fortune. It was scary.”

A long-term injury to Abreu would’ve been especially frightening for the Sox, who are already without Luis Robert and Eloy Jimenez for maybe the rest of the season. Those fears were unfounded, and the Sox can move forward with the reigning American League MVP.

Leury Garcia said seeing what happened to Abreu was tough for everybody, and they thought the outcome would be worse.

“But we know Pito, what kind of guy, what kind of player he is, what kind of human. And he’s ready to go,” Garcia said before the lineup was released. “I don’t know if he’s going to play tonight or not, but we thought it was going to be worse. And thank god everything is fine.”

By playing Saturday, Abreu appeared in his 998th career game. When he hits 1,000, Abreu will become the 29th player in Sox history to play that many with the team. He will also be the 66th active player to reach the mark.

As for Leury…
Garcia entered Saturday slashing .219/.248/.271 after playing only 16 games last year due to injury. But without Robert, Jimenez and Adam Engel (strained right hamstring), Garcia’s role and importance has increased.

Garcia didn’t use last year’s lack of action as an excuse for his slow start, and said he’s been working to find ways to succeed and get on base.

“I don’t worry about the past. I don’t worry about the last game,” Garcia said. “I just worry about the game that I play that day. I’ve been working — I’m still working — on my offense, and I think at the end of the day, I’ll be all right.”

Naming captains?

Baseball teams naming official captains is unusual, and don’t expect La Russa to break with that precedent.

La Russa said he’s never done it because the season is so demanding and doesn’t want to give players another responsibility. At the same time, he routinely calls Abreu and Tim Anderson captain, as in “Captain, we got to get this one today.”

“Officially, I just, I never have thought that,” La Russa said. “The guys in the clubhouse know who the captains are and who the assistant captains are. That’s what counts.”

Read More

Somehow, Jose Abreu in White Sox lineup against RoyalsBrian Sandalowon May 15, 2021 at 9:24 pm Read More »

Somehow, Jose Abreu in White Sox lineup against RoyalsBrian Sandalowon May 15, 2021 at 9:24 pm

Jose Abreu and Hunter Dozier lie on the ground after their collision Friday. | Getty

One day after his scary collision with Hunter Dozier, Abreu started against Kansas City.

One day after his scary collision with the Royals’ Hunter Dozier, Jose Abreu is in the White Sox lineup for Saturday’s game with Kansas City.

The reigning American League MVP, Abreu was checked out by Sox doctors around 4 p.m. on Saturday afternoon. A few minutes later, the Sox released their lineup with Abreu hitting fourth and playing first base.

Manager Tony La Russa said he spoke with Royals counterpart Mike Matheny to explain why the Sox’ lineup was later than usual, and they concluded the incident was unique.

“We both agreed I don’t think I’ve ever heard that kind of collision on a baseball field ever,” La Russa said. “The fact that they are both going to come out of it without anything serious is really a stroke of good fortune. It was scary.”

Dozier was placed on the seven-day concussion injured list. Abreu, meanwhile, was listed as day-to-day with a facial contusion and laceration, plus a bruised left knee.

“Well, based on yesterday, last night to today, he’s made a remarkable comeback as far as the appearance,” La Russa said. “He’s moving around. He’s actually taking some swings.”

Read More

Somehow, Jose Abreu in White Sox lineup against RoyalsBrian Sandalowon May 15, 2021 at 9:24 pm Read More »