One of the drivers in a deadly Austin shooting over the weekend said he and others targeted the victim because they were on the hunt for rival gang members, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday.
In a video-recorded statement to Chicago police, Antonio Cole said he picked up an associate who “wanted to shoot opps” shortly before Sunday’s shooting at Chicago and Lamon avenues, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.
Cole was in the driver’s seat of a blue Lexus shortly before 1 p.m. when he and his cohorts spotted Rollon Hill and two others riding motor bikes on Chicago Avenue, Murphy said.
Cole allegedly cut off Hill off before rolling down the driver’s side window.
Right after, the front seat passenger reached across Cole to open fire at Hill, who fell off his bike, Murphy said.
When that gunman’s weapon jammed after several shots, Cole tried to help him “uncock the gun but it didn’t uncock,” Cole allegedly told detectives.
At the same time, another group of Cole’s associates who were traveling in a Kia saw Hill run off, Murphy said. The Kia’s driver then allegedly chased Hill and started firing.
Hill, 30, was struck in the buttocks and abdomen and later died, according to police. The Cook County medical examiner’s office listed Hill’s first name as Roland.
A witness called 911 to report the shooting, allowing police to track Cole’s Lexus, Murphy said.
Cole allegedly stopped his car a few blocks away from his home to throw several shell casings into an alley. He was taken into custody roughly 20 minutes after the shooting and two more shell casings were found inside the Lexus, Murphy said.
Cole knew of his cohorts’ intentions and “played an active role in the shooting,” Judge Mary Marubio said before ordering him held without bail Wednesday.
Cole has previously been convicted for vehicular hijacking, aggravated robbery and possession of a controlled substance, prosecutors said.
Cole lives with his grandmother on the West Side and has been looking for work to support himself and his two children, Assistant Public Defender Margaret Domin said.
He is expected back in court Aug. 9.