Demond Goudy, 20, is facing murder and attempted murder charges for the April 18 shooting at the fast food restaurant in the 3200 W. Roosevelt Road.
An alleged gunman who opened fire on a car at a West Side McDonald’s drive-thru, killing 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams, was ordered held without bail Friday.
Demond Goudy, 20, is facing murder and attempted murder charges for the April 18 shooting at the fast food restaurant, at 3200 W. Roosevelt Road.
Marion Lewis, 18, was also ordered held without bail for Jaslyn’s murder after he was taken into custody last week following a police chase on the Eisenhower Expressway. Lewis, who Cook County prosecutors identified as the driver, was shot by a police officer during the pursuit.
On the day of the deadly shooting, Goudy was seen getting out of a silver Audi before he fired his .40-caliber handgun at the tan Infiniti Jaslyn and her father were in, Assistant State’s Attorney Kevin DeBoni said.
A second uncharged gunman also opened fire on the Infiniti with a Draco AK-47-style rifle with a “banana clip,” DeBoni said.
Goudy and the other shooter got back into the Audi afterward, but got out again when Jaslyn’s father began to drive away. They fired on the car a second time before speeding away, DeBoni said.
Jaslyn was shot multiple times and died at Stroger Hospital. Her father was also wounded.
Police later recovered 19 .40-caliber shell casings and 28 7.62-mm shell casings from the crime scene, prosecutors said.
Guns matching the casings were found in Lewis’ possession when he was taken into custody, DeBoni said.
A video Lewis posted on social media earlier that day showed him driving around with Goudy and the uncharged shooter, who was seen holding the Draco rifle, DeBoni said.
Surveillance cameras also recorded Goudy at a BP gas station, at 3159 W. Chicago Ave., when the group pulled up in the Audi, DeBoni said. There, a man noticed damage to the car, and allegedly gave Lewis a business card, saying he could repair it.
That man said he couldn’t identify members of the group, but his business card was later found inside Lewis’ apartment, DeBoni said.
At the time of the shooting, Goudy had been out on bond for weapons, robbery and drug charges in four separate felony cases, DeBoni said. As a juvenile, Goudy had faced similar charges, the prosecutor added.
On Friday, Judge David Navarro revoked Goudy’s bail for his pending cases.
Cathryn Crawford, an attorney with the not-for-profit Lawndale Christian Legal Center, told Navarro earlier this week that she needed time to investigate prosecutors’ evidence and potentially find witnesses before Goudy’s bond hearing.
Crawford sought to delay the hearing again Friday. As Navarro listened to her request, allowing her to be physically in the room with her client during the livestreamed hearing, she compared the proceedings to a Russian courtroom, where defendants “sit in a cage” and are not allowed to converse during hearings with their attorneys.
Crawford also sought to prevent prosecutors from discussing Goudy’s juvenile criminal history and argued that prosecutors had not provided sufficient records in the case that would allow her to property defend Goudy. She even asked that DeBoni be sanctioned.
Navarro rejected Crawford’s motions.
Navarro allowed Crawford to speak with Goudy, but Crawford later returned to the hearing, saying she they hadn’t been able to speak privately because Goudy wasn’t provided a private room and their conversation could be overheard.
“It’s a violation of [Goudy’s] due process to continue this [hearing],” Crawford said.
Crawford didn’t provide any mitigation for Goudy at Friday’s hearing.
Goudy is expected back in court for Jaslyn’s murder on May 19.