Chicago Gourmet 2020 announces a full month of live and virtual events
today at 10:10 am
Tickets Now on Sale
Calling all foodies
While Chicago’s 2020 festival calendar has virtually bit the dust, due to the big bad pandemic, Chicago Gourmet has taken a bad thing and spun it into something golden.
Employing 2020 vision, Chicago Gourmet is rolling out an impressive lineup of foodie events and celebrities both live and virtual.
And that’s not all.
They have taken what previously was a week long festival and extended it to a full month.
The team, including the Illinois Restaurant Association (IRA), the event’s founding sponsor – along with presenting sponsor Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spiritshe Illinois Restaurant Association (IRA), the event’s founding sponsor – along with presenting sponsor Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits, have curated a full schedule of programming from September 1-30.
Reservations and tickets are now available at chicagogourmet.org.
Here’s the lineup:
CAN’T STOP THE HOP
A crowd favorite and always a sellout, Hamburger Hop, traditionally held on the Friday night before the Millennium Park event on the Harris Theatre Rooftop, will be held virtually this year from September 1-13.
The good news–more burgers
Because this year’s event is virtual 100 chefs will be competing instead of the typical 15. More good news, the guest list is open to more participants.
Here’s how to participate
Burgers will be available for for dine-in, delivery or carry out from September 1-13. Burger lovers can hop around town, or visit the DoorDash app or website, and try as many burgers as possible.
Your Vote is Important
You can vote for your favorite, based on flavor and overall presentation, at chicagogourmet.org.
The champion will be announced the week of September 14 and will receive a magnum of fine wine from Josh Cellars, a Yeti cooler filled with premium meat and seafood from Buckhead Meat of Chicago and bragging rights for a lifetime.
Go Gourmet Dinner Series
Held on various dates between September 14-30, fans can experience multi-course dinners paired with wine and spirit selections. The lineup includes:
- Monday, September 14 – Wednesday, September 16 & Monday, September 21 – Wednesday, September 23: Chefs Laura, Kelly + Michael Cheng, Sun Wah BBQ
- Tuesday, September 15: Chef Jose Sosa, Gibsons Italia
- Wednesday, September 16: Chef Carlos Gaytán, Tzuco – With special guest chefs Gaby Ruiz from Carmela & Sal (Mexico City) and Gourmet MX (Villahermosa, Tabasco); Rodrigo Estrada from Agua & Sal (Mexico City) and Yemanyá (Mexico City); and Benito Molina from Manzanilla (Ensenada, Baja California) to commemorate Mexican Independence Day
- Thursday, September 17: Chef Kevin Hickey, The Duck Inn
- Sunday, September 20: Chef Erick Williams, Virtue
- Monday, September 21: Chef Norman Bolden, Norman’s Bistro
- Tuesday, September 22: Chef Tony Priolo, Piccolo Sogno
- Wednesday, September 23: Chef Sarah Grueneberg, Monteverde
- Thursday, September 24: A special collaboration between Chef Cedric Harden, River Roast, and Chef Carolina Diaz, Terzo Piano (held at River Roast)
- Wednesday, September 30: Chef Mari Katsumura, Yūgen
Reservations can be made directly with participating restaurants. To see the full lineup and reservations information, visit chicagogourmet.org. Prices and times vary per restaurant. All will adhere to current occupancy orders and health and safety guidelines.
Go Gourmet Virtual Series
Fans can purchase tickets to simply watch, or order meal kits in advance from anywhere in the U.S. to cook along and learn in real time. The virtual schedule includes:
- Monday, September 14: Chef Art Smith, Blue Door Kitchen & Garden
- Wednesday, September 16: Chef Lorena Garcia, Lorena Garcia Cocina/Lorena Garcia Tapas
- Thursday, September 17: Chef Thai Dang, HaiSous/Cà Phê Đá
- Friday, September 18: Chef Fabio Viviani, Siena Tavern/Prime & Provisions/Bar Siena
- Sunday, September 20: Chef Kwame Onwuachi
- Tuesday, September 22: Chef Rick Bayless, Frontera Grill/ Topolobampo/XOCO/Tortazo/Bar Sótano
- Saturday, September 26: Chef Jernard Wells, The Family Chef
- Sunday, September 27: Chef Stephanie Izard, Girl & the Goat/Little Goat Diner/Duck Duck Goat/Cabra
- Tuesday, September 29: Chef Jeff Mauro, The Kitchen/Sandwich King
A Good Cause
All Go Gourmet events benefit the IRAEF Restaurant Employee Relief Fund. In addition to those named above, the series is made possible thanks to Mariano’s, US Foods, Bank of America, Gordon Foodservice, Performance Foodservice, Choose Chicago, Pepsi, Coker Service Inc. and Coca-Cola.
Chicago Gourmet’s annual online auction returnsSeptember 14-30 with wine, spirits and dinner experiences benefiting the Illinois Restaurant Association Educational Foundation.
Visit chicagogourmet.org for details, reservations and tickets.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.