Chicago Summer Festival calendar 2020: latest updates and cancellations
today at 10:03 am
With the landscape changing daily, due to the coronavirus, it is hard to predict the future for Summer 2020.
But we can hope for the best.
With many events and festivals already cancelled, one thing we can say for sure, it is not the typical carefree, festival-filled summers of the past that we took for granted.
As of today, we are in Phase II (Flattening) of Governor Pritzker’s five-part plan to “Restore Illinois” and reopen the state.
At this point we are directed to wear a face covering when outside the house. We can return to some limited outdoor activities including golf, boating and fishing with restrictions and practicing social distancing. The lakefront and riverwalk are still off-limits.
Next, Phase 3 (Recovery) will allow for reopening of manufacturing, offices, retail and salons with gatherings limited to 10 or fewer–still not good for festivals.
We have to get to Phase 4 (Revitalization), which will allow gatherings of 50 people or fewer, to even have a shot at some small summer gatherings.
Phase 4 will also allow, restaurants and bars to reopen, along with reducing travel restrictions and reopening child care and schools with face coverings and social distancing required.
What we really need to aim for to save any of our summer festival season is Phase 5 (Restored). At this point the economy fully reopens including conventions, festivals and large events.
In order for this to happen a vaccine or highly effective treatment must become widely available or the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period (sustained period, not defined–a week? a month?).
Since the governor’s plan offers no time table for phases to take place we need to take things day by day.
Even though the outlook does not look promising at this point, there is hope. Nothing has been cancelled for August or September with some festivals originally scheduled for May, June and July including the Belmont-Sheffield Music Fest, Andersonville Midsommarfest, James Beard Awards gala and Milwaukee Summerfest have been rescheduled to late summer. Others such as the LaGrange Pet Parade are virtual.
Show Me Chicago will continue to track the cancellations, postponements and rescheduling of summer events updating our original SUMMER FESTIVAL CALENDAR. we published if February to reflect the Covid-19 impact.
Here’s the latest 0we will continue to update).
- Grant Park Music Fest 2020, June 10 through August 15, Most concerts take place on Wednesday and Friday evenings at 6:30 p.m., and Saturday evenings at 7:30 p.m. (Note: there will be no concert on Friday, July 3.), Millennium Park. SEASON CANCELLED
- Navy Pier Summer Fireworks, Memorial Day through Labor Day, Wednesdays and Saturdays from Saturday, May 30 through Saturday, September ?: Wednesdays at 9:30 pm. & Saturdays at 10:15 pm. EARLY SHOWS CANCELLED THROUGH JUNE 10
- Year of Chicago Music, summer lakefront and neighborhood events/festivals. MOVED TO ONLINE WITH SOME EVENTS RESCHEDULED FOR 2021
- Ravinia Summer Festival, May 30 -September 15, 2020. Green Bay Rd. just north of Lake Cook Road, Highland Park 2020 SEASON CANCELLED
- Chicago SummerDance 2020, June 25 – August 22, Grant Park, TBD
- Chicago Kids and Kites Fest, Saturday, May 2, 2020, Free Admission, 10am–4pm, Cricket Hill in Lincoln Park, W. Montrose Drive CANCELLED
- Chicago Beer Fest, Saturday, May 2, Soldier Field CANCELLED
- James Beard Foundation Awards May 4, Lyric Opera MOVED TO September 25, 2020
- Illinois Craft Beer Week (ICBW), May 10-17, throughout Chicago and Illinois POSTPONED
- Lincoln Park Wine Fest (6th annual) Friday-Sunday, May 15-17, Jonquil Park, 1001 W. Wrightwood CANCELLED
- Manifest Urban Arts Festival, May 15 Wabash Arts Corridor between Michigan and Clark and Congress and Roosevelt VIRTUAL EVENTS
- Bark in the Park, May 16, Soldier Field CANCELLED
- Wright Plus House Walk, Saturday, May 16, Oak Park and River Forest CANCELLED
- Chicago House Music Conference & Festival, May 21-23, Chicago Cultural Center & Millennium Park CANCELLED
- Mole De Mayo, May 22-24, Ashland and 18th Street, Pilsen VIRTUAL
Navy Pier Fireworks, blast off May 23 (Wednesdays and Saturdays and July 4 through September 5)THE FOLLOWING SHOWS CANCELLED: May 23, 27 and 30 AND June 3, 6 and 10
- Chicago Memorial Day Parade, May 23, wreath laying 11am, Parade noon, State St. from Wacker to Van Buren CANCELLED
- Randolph Street Market Festival, May 23 – 24, 2020, first outdoor festival of the season, 1350 block W. Randolph and 1340 W. Washington Street between Ada and Ogden CANCELLED UNTIL JULY 25,26
- Belmont-Sheffield Music Fest, May 23, 24, on Sheffield from Belmont to Roscoe MOVED TO AUGUST 22-23
- Gospel Music Festival, May 26-May 30, Millennium Park & Citywide Locations CANCELLED
- Bike the Drive, Sunday, May 24, Lake Shore Dr, post ride festival, Grant Park CANCELLED
- Do Division Street, May 29th-May, 31st on Division Street between Damen and Leavitt (2000W-2200W Division St.) CANCELLED
- Mayfest, May 29-31, Armitage at Sheffield. TBD
- LaGrange Pet Parade, May 30, 2020, line-up, 8:30 am., Downtown LaGrange, Cossitt Ave. & LaGrange Rd. VIRTUAL PARADE
- Chicago Taco & Tequila Fest, May 30 & 31, 2500 N. Cannon Dr. Lincoln Park, Cannon Drive just north of Fullerton
- Chicago Blues Festival, June 5–7, Millennium Park CANCELLED
- Lincoln Park Greek Fest, June 5 – 7, 2020, Sheffield Avenue outside St. George Greek Orthodox Church. Free.
- Harvard Milk Days, June 5 – 7, Harvard, IL. MOVED TO OCTOBER
- 57th Street Art Fair June, 6 and 7, Hyde Park CANCELLED
- Printers Row Lit Fest June 6 & 7, South Loop along Dearborn POSTPONED TO SEPTEMBER 5TH AND 6TH, 2020
- Wingout Chicago, June 6 and 7, 2 to 6 pm. St. Michael’s parking lot in Old Town POSTPONED DATE, TBD
Hyde Park Summer Fest. June 6 – 7 , downtown Hyde Park, 53rd and Harper Court moved to August 22-23
- West Loop Fizz Fest, Saturday-Sunday, June 6-7, 1000 W. Washington Blvd. (at Morgan), Chicago
- Run for the Zoo 10K, 5K, and kids’ stampede, June 7, Lincoln Park Zoo and Lincoln Park VIRTUAL EVENT FOR 2020
- Chicago Underground Film Festival June 10-14, 2558 W 16th Street, Stage 18 POSTPONED
Spring Awakening 2020, June 12-14, Union Park, 1501 W. Randolph CANCELLED
- Naked Bike Ride, June 13, departing from Fulton River Park
- Andersonville Midsommarfest, Friday, June 12-Sunday, June 14, 5200 N. Clark MOVED TO August 21-23, 2020
- Ribfest Chicago June 12-14, Lincoln / Irving Park / Damen CANCELLED
- Old Town Art Fair June 13 – 14, Old Town Triangle Historic District
- Wells Street Art Festival June 13-14, Old Town, on Wells between North and Division POSTPONED Tentative Dates: Saturday, August 29 and Sunday, August 30, 2020
- Winnetka Music Festival (4th annual), Friday-Saturday, June 19-20, Elm Street and Lincoln Ave., Winnetka CANCELLED
- Festa!Pasta!Vino! Italian Street Festival, June 19 – 21, 2020, 24th & South Oakley POSTPONED
- Country LakeShake 2020, Fri, Jun 19 – Sun, Jun 21, Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, 1300 S Linn White Dr. CANCELLED
- Craft Brews At Lincoln Park Zoo June 19 & 20, Lincoln Park Zoo
- Craft Beer Festival, Saturday, June 20, Morton Arboretum, Lisle
- Taste of Randolph Street, June 19-21, offers three stages of music, 14 restaurant booths, and artisan vendors at Randolph Street & Peoria Street. Donation CANCELLED
- Puerto Rican Parade, June 20, Division Street from Western Avenue to Sacramento Avenue, Humboldt Park DECISION PENDING
- Chicago Vegandale, Vegan Food Festival, June 20, Butler Field in Grant Park. Free admission for children age 12 and younger
- Chicago Food Truck Festival, June 20 & 21, South Loop Green Space
- Ravenswood on Tap, June 20, 21, beer & spirits from local producers, food from nearby restaurants, live local music, and more Ravenswood Avenue and Berteau Avenue. Donation.
- Chicago Pride Fest®, June 20-21, Halsted and Addison in Boystown POSTPONED
Fountain Square Artisan Summerfest June 20 & 21 2020, Evanston, IL- Sherman and Church Street
- Make Music Day, June 21, various locations including Millennium Park and Navy Pier. Free.
- Dragon Boat Races, June 21, teams compete in colorful boats on the river, music, dance, vendors, Ping Tom Memorial Park, 300 W 19th Street. Free. RESCHEDULED: August 22, 2020 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Ping Tom Memorial Park.
- Father’s Day BBQ, June 21, with a cash bar, Brookfield Zoo.
- Swedish Days, June 23 – 28, 2020, Downtown Geneva
- Millennium Art Festival June 26, 27, 28 2020, downtown Chicago at Lake Street and Michigan
- Logan Square Arts Festival, June 26, 27 & 28, Milwaukee, Logan & Kedzie CANCELLED
Pride In The Park June 27 & 28 2020, Grant Park POSTPONED
- Highland Park Festival of Fine Arts, June 27 & 28, Downtown Highland Park Art Center
- Renegade Craft Fair, June 27, 28 food trucks and craft cocktails for sale, Andersonville, Clark Street (from Edgewater Ave. to Bryn Mawr Ave.). Free
- Chicago Pride Parade steps off at noon on Sunday, June 28, 2020, at Montrose Avenue and Broadway in Uptown and ends near the intersection of Diversey Parkway and Sheridan Road in Lincoln Park POSTPONED
- Windy City Ribfest in Uptown (12th annual), Friday-Sunday, July 3-5, Lawrence & Broadway (Uptown),
- Chicago Eyes to the Skies Festival, Friday-Sunday, July 3-5, Lisle Community Park, 1825 Short St., Lisle CANCELLED
- The African/Caribbean International Festival of Life, July 3-5, Washington Park, 55th & Cottage Grove CANCELLED
- Fourth of July Fireworks, July 4, dusk, Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand
- Lake Forest Festival & Fireworks (14th annual), Saturday, July 4, Deerpath Park, Deerpath and Hastings Rd., Lake Forest, IL CANCELLED
- Lake Bluff 4th of July Parade, 10am., downtown Lake Bluff CANCELLED
- Chosen Few DJs Music Fest & Picnic, Saturday, July 4, Jackson Park (South Lake Shore Drive near 63rd Street), Chicago CANCELLED
- Taste of Chicago 2020, Wed, July 8 – Sun, July 12, Grant Park, 337 E Randolph St
- Irish American Heritage Festival, July 10-12, 4626 N Knox Ave., Chicago, CANCELLED
- Windy City Smokeout, Fri, Jul 10 – Sun, July 12, United Center
- Square Roots Festival, July 10-12, Lincoln Square on Lincoln between Montrose and Wilson RESCHEDULED TO August 28-30
- West Fest, July 10, 11 &12, Chicago Avenue between Damen Avenue and Wood Street (1800W – 2000W Chicago Ave.) CANCELLED
- Roscoe Village Burger Fest (14th annual), Saturday/Sunday, July 11-12, 2000 W. Belmont (at Damen), Chicago
- Bastille Day 5/8K Run & Walk, July 13, Cannon Drive & Fullerton
- Green City Market Chefs BBQ, July 16, Lincoln Park
- Pitchfork Music Festival 2020, July 17-July 19, Union Park, 1501 W Randolph St. CANCELLED
- BenFest 2020, July 17-19, St. Benedict’s, 2215 W. Irving Park Rd
- Race to Mackinac and Parade of Boats, July 18, from Navy Pier
Silver Room Block Party, July 18, Downtown Hyde Park
- Chalk Howard Street, Saturday, July 18, 2020 from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., just east of the Howard Red Line ‘L’ stop CANCELLED
- Chinatown Summer Fair, Saturday/Sunday, July 18-19, Wentworth Avenue & Cermak Rd. (aka 22nd Street), Chicago
- Chicago Food Truck Festival at Wrigley Field, July 25, 2020
- Chicago Margarita Festival, July 25 – July 26, Navy Pier, 600 E Grand Ave
- Taste of Lincoln Avenue (37th annual), Saturday/Sunday, July 25-26, North Lincoln Avenue between Fullerton & Wrightwood, Chicago
- Randolph Street Market Festival, July 25, 26 2020, outdoor festival vintage, antiques, entertainment, food, drinks 1350 block W. Randolph and 1340 W. Washington Street between Ada and Ogden
- Lollapalooza Music Festival 2020, Thu, Jul 30 – Sun, Aug 2, Grant Park, 337 E Randolph St OK
- Jeff Fest, Friday-Sunday, July 31-August 2, Jefferson Memorial Park, 4822 N. Long (Lawrence and Milwaukee Avenues), Chicago
- Wicker Park Fest, July dates TBA, on On Milwaukee Ave., from North Ave. to Ashland Ave.
AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER
We will add August and September as more information is available.
PLEASE NOTE: Mayor Lightfoot will provide an update at 1:30pm. today from City Hall outlining the city’s plans for reopening that may continue information on city run festivals.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Chicago Summer Festivals